Friday, November 20, 2009

Persimmon Cheesecakes: 3 Ingredient Recipe #9


3 Ingredient Recipe: Persimmon Cheesecake Cups

Ok, so I'm really excited about this one.  I wanted to do a dessert for one of the days in this challenge, but I just couldn't think of anything that didn't require lots of baking (too many ingredients) or was just fruit or gelatin or something (too easy).  One thing that makes it more difficult is that I am dessert-challenged.  While I can riff my way thru a 5 course meal without so much as glancing at a recipe, trying to make cookies without notes more often results in globby, burnt, or in some other manner inedible sweets than I'd care to admit.  No amount of pleading, threatening or tears seems to convince my ingredients to submit to my whims.

One especially memorable attempt was a batch of icebox lemon cookies that I deviated off the recipe for and ended up with more of a batter than a dough that when you placed them in the oven WOULD NOT BAKE.  They would just turn to runny, shapeless stubborn blobs and then, out of contempt for me, finally set themselves ablaze and left me with a tray of something resembling the s'mores that fall into the campfire.  I abandoned the notion of making cookies out of the remain raw paste, but since it really did have more the consistency of batter, I decided to show the goo I wasn't going down that easy and I made what I now call Cookie Dough Pancakes out of it.  They're actually quite a hit with Jason and he requests them from me all the time... so take THAT stupid jerk cookies...

Even if I manage to make a success out of my sweets experiments, however, they rarely turn out as they are originally intended.  Rather like children. So imagine my utter shock, my elation, as I removed perfect, gleaming little cheesecakes from the muffin tin.  A crossed-fingers bite confirmed it:  it was eatable.  It tasted like cheesecake.   It tasted like REALLY GOOD cheesecake!  And it had only three ingredients!  Shaking my tiny fists at the dessert gods who have for so long forsaken me, I was triumphant... and for any of my neighbors watching me from their windows from across the way, also a complete cackling lunatic.  But what did it matter?  I had perfect, airy, decadent persimmon cheesecake, and they could just watch me eat it...


For a refresher on the rules of my 10 day, 3 ingredient challenge, check out the first post.

3 Ingredients:
  1. 2 persimmons, hulled
  2. 1 8 oz package of cream cheese (softened)
  3. 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk

What to do with it...
  • Spray a standard 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or grease with butter
  • Puree one persimmon in a standard blender or with an immersion blender
  • With a hand mixer, whip together your cheese, persimmon puree, and 3/4 of your can of condensed milk until creamy/airy
  • Divide mixture into your muffin cups, cover with plastic wrap, and pop into the freezer for 30 mins (but not much more than that or they'll get too hard)
  • Slice your remaining persimmon into thin crescent wedges and dip in condensed milk to get a thin coat
  • Heat a little butter in a small nonstick skillet and place into the pan to "caramelize" for a moment
  • When your cheesecake cups are solid enough to remove, slide a butter knife dipped in hot water around the edges and pry each one out gently and plate
  • Arranged your persimmon wedges in a star shape on top of each cake
  • Finish them off by caramelizing persimmon tops further with a kitchen torch, or a quick moment under the broiler on high (test this on one as your broiler may not get hot enough and will just melt the cake)





NINE DOWN, JUST ONE TO GO!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mathea
    I believe in Europe we call this a Kaki which is a frtuit from japan ! is that correct, come on you are almost there all france is with you in this challenge !
    pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..I'm getting excited, TOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's pretty awesome. congrats on an amazing looking dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would DIE to eat those.

    Well, not really. But I do love all three ingredients.

    I love the idea of cookie dough pancakes by the way. Surely they deserve their own post?

    Just a suggestion. (Finger's crossed)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I'm always happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails