Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Chickenless Kitchen 30 Rock Challenge!

My fellow food blogger over at the Chickenless Kitchen posted a challenge a few days ago: Create a recipe inspired by the show 30 Rock.  Well I can't resist a challenge that is TV related (food and TV pair so well together), and definitely can't resist a chance to post about 30 Rock.


Tina Fey feels like my long lost, much more successful sister.  I'm told I look like her all the time, a fact that is not surprising I guess considering we are both half Greek on our mother's sides.  She has lived in PA and Chicago (like me), and, most importantly, she enjoys FOOD and is not afraid to make a fool out of herself if it makes people laugh.  I'm going to stop with the comparisons now because they'll begin to border the creepy/stalker variety and just get on to the recipe... oh, and also my nickname has been "Tina" for years and years before I knew who Tina Fey was... OK, that was the last one, I promise!  To the challenge!



Being that there is the Greek connection there, I thought I'd do a recipe that works with that.  I decided to brush off the Greek cookbook passed down from my YiaYia, very cleverly named "The Art of Greek Cookery"...gotta love 1960's cookbooks for their creativity.  This is also inspired by the "Night Cheese" scene in 30 Rock...



So without further ado, I bring you...


Night Cheese: The Recipe


1 pound of kasseri cheese
1 pound of fresh mozzerella
1 pound of feta
1 lemon
Olive oil
Flour for dredging
Assorted olives (including kalamata)

  1. Directions: Cut all the cheese into 1/4 inch thick pieces and dredge in flour.
  2. Heat the oil in a medium skillet and add cheese pieces.
  3. Brown on each side, 1.5 min for kasseri, 1 min for softer cheeses.
  4. Remove to dish and serve with olives, a few squeezes of lemon juice, and drizzle olive oil.

OPA!


I'll be posting my first 3 ingredient challenge recipe today so stay tuned for that later!

5 comments:

  1. NIGHT CHEESE! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Mae! Looks super-cheesy and delicious. Where did you find that clip?? I've looked forever for the one I want to use.

    Anyone else who wants to participate... you still have until Sunday: http://thechickenlesskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/11/tv-dinner-30-rock.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I just searched "Night Cheese" on Youtube! Hulu has entire episodes and clips, too, with embed codes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hold my breath for Tiny Fey's weird food moments on 30 Rock. I especially loved when the hot dog vendor tried to stop her from eating so many hot dogs in season 1.

    ps: cute profile pic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I'm always happy to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails